Wednesday, January 26, 2011

War Over Tennis Balls, Really?: My Thoughts on Henry V

 I understand that there was more going on than my reactions to watching and reading along to Henry V but I think I am interesting so you can read my reactions if you want! The first reaction is the title. And one that I am not going to put in the bullet because I am willing to acknowledge you are more like to read the bullets than this, (especially as it gets longer!) is one that I am embarrassed about. Confession #1: It took me more than thirty seconds to figure out who King Harry was!


1.) Wow Shakespeare is dirty, wow so am I because I got the joke!
2.) King Charles does not want to go to war because he understands the consequences the Dauphin
     and Harry, did not. King Charles is also afraid of the past becoming hte present slash future.
3.) Wow they go for the gold. Do not ask for an apology or a grievance fee, ASK FOR THE KINGDOM!!!
4.) War was like a Renaissance video game.
5.) Fluellen is a Scumbag (yes the capital S is intentional). He made King Henry kill his friend when he could have fudged things over but he wanted the king to have to watch Bardolph hang. Also he never seems to fight, he is always running away from the battle (at least in this movie).
6.) Different versions of the text seem to only have minor word discrepancies which is cool.
7.) I learned that if I were a man and had been in war in their time I would not have been a gentleman. There is a scene in the movie where Henry is sitting on a horse in a spot light, talking to the mayor of the town they are either going to pillage or own and he says As long as I am living we will fight you till you surrender. I am not going to lie if he is idiot to sit in the spot light and threaten me I would have loosed an arrow at him. especially because he is threatening the people i am a political leader am supposed to protect.
8.) I wonder if there were so many wars because they were all adrenaline junkies.
9.) Along with number seven and these just go for the movie of course, Henry is the only one on a horse, he is an easy target, just shot him!
10.) Kings did not mind war because they road on horses and others asked them "can I attend thee my lord?" effectually saying, can I give you a bath and tuck you in?
11.) To win the war you either need to believe you will win the war or believe that you wont survive it so that you are fearless.
12.) Henry had the courage and the hope to give his men courage.
13.) He makes each individual man think that they will be the one showing their scars.
14.)At the negotiation, Henry has proved his point so now he can wish the French health.
15.) He told a woman he had never met that he loved her and she fell for it. What a tool and and what a blond! He was eloquent but the eloquence was in English she did not know that he was being romantic!

I also wanted to include some of my favorite lines.

"All things are ready if our minds be so."

"Constable: Disorder that hath spoiled us friend us now. Let us on heaps go offer up our lives.
Bourbon: I'll to the throng. Let life be short, else shame will be too long."

"For when lenity and cruelty play for a kingdom, the gentler is the soonest winner."

"Then I would he were here alone . . .Ay, or more than we should seek after. For we know enough if we know we are the king's subjects. if his cause be wrong, our obedience to the king wipes the crime of it out of us." 

The other two that were longer are of course Henry's speech. And then after that his reaction to the killing of the boys and then before that Williams speech after Bates finishes the last quote above.