Sunday, March 20, 2011

Creatively Involved: Skypeing With Shakespeare, Creating New Digital Mediations

Branching away from my usual theme of optimism in Shakespeare I am going to talk about a learning out come for a few minutes. I have yet to complete my creative requirement for this class. So I have established a plan. I would like to arrange a dramatic reading of a scene from one of the plays. Originally I was going to try to get in contact with a bunch of actors, but when I realized that, to the best of my knowledge there is not a handy list of all actors who would apply to my plan online I decided to reconfigure my agenda.



I then decided to try to get a hold of Professors at BYU to see if they would want to participate or if they could recommend alumni who would want to participate. I made a list of probably candidates for emailing and forgot about it during the second wave of midterms.

Now I have had an epiphany. As cool as it might be to get professional actors to participate I have come to realize, thanks to the flash mob, that it is more fun when the actors are not professional. Yes I am talking about you. Since now of you have come out as professional actors yet I am assumeing you are not. However, that does not mean that you cannot act and even if you cannot act it does not mean that you should not. Now before you stop reading reign in your horses and lend me your ear for just a one more paragraph, then I will believe you have given this enough consideration to move on with your life!

Here's how I am thinking this will work. I will record a Skype conversation digitally in the HLRC on the first floor of the JFSB on campus. There will be no group practice, we will simply call in at a specified time and read. This does not mean that you should not prepare you part, you should practice and develop the character as you see fit, after all it would be a dramatic reading. 

This post, therefore, is a call for a few things:

          1.) Actors
          2.) Scene Suggestions
          3.) A call for suggestions as ti how this should work, (advice is wonderful!).

Just a couple more things! If you want to invite a friend feel free to! And (I may be being overly optimistic here but . . .) if more people want to participate than we have parts for we can do more than one scene or even a whole play! Tell me what you think and spread the word if you are as excited about this as I am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment