Monday, February 21, 2011

Midterm: Me

   Learning Outcomes:


                I have for the most part put up two post a week adn commented on at least two posts a week. Also as part of this I made an effort in class and outside to share what I was learning and doing. I tried to let the class know about movies and the conversation with Fred Adams online and in class as well as planning activities with others in the class in other classes we have together.


1a. Breadth – I have thus far this semester read: Hamlet, Henry V, Taming of the Shrew, Othello, and The Tempest.


1b. Depth -  I did a little bit of reaserch of Hamlet when I had questions about the poisioning and how the thrown was passed. I am next going to do an in depth anaylisis of The Merchant of Venice.


1c. I have participate in the planning and watching of the following movies: Hamlet, Henry V, Taming of the Shrew, and Othello. I also watched a version of The tempest on my own but I wasn’t sure if it would be good so I did not invite the class and as it turns out that was a wise decision!


1d. I have done some historical research. Henry the fifth made me curious about weapons so I did a post about weapons of the time. Talking about Shakespeare and needing to prepare for talking with Fred Adams made me curious about his life and family so I did a post about that. I also did some research on his marriage but there was not much information on it so I did not submit a post on it.
2.     
2. This is next on my to do list.


3a. I am going to participate in the flash mob and/or the video. I tried to get things moving with them by sending you the e-mail about having time in class to work on them. Janelle and I have also talked about doing a puppet show but finding a video camera has proved difficult, however, I have not yet exhausted my resources.


3b. I shared some sonnets I have written and am thinking of doing a sketch, but, I am not the best artist so this would take a lot of guts to share.


4. I could do more research and creative work but I have done some already.  Creative work was the sonnets. For research I looked up weaponry and Shakespeare’s life. I am not sure if this counts as research but one thing I wanted to research was Shakespeare experts and I did that and at least one of them was a success!


Personal Impact? DEFINITELY!!!


           The first way is that I notice a pattern in what I am interested in researching. I currently have a long list of things I want to research about the time Shakespeare lived in. I looked up weapons and his life and his marriage and in the research of his marriage I did a little research on the treatment of women. I guess the point with this first statement is that I research whatever interests me about Shakespeare’s time. There is not always enough for a post but I am working on some posts.


            The next way that it is impacting me is with regards to lifelong learning. There are a few things with this so I will list them.


1.) Before this class if I wanted to know something I was inclined to ask someone about it. Now I am inordinately zealous about looking things up. I have learned that with the right amount of digging you can find anything you want to know. This has taught me not just to accept the answer because (I know that sounds juvenile) but there are answers to everything and I can find them.


2.) I have also developed some guts. This could be because I LOVE to write and I am not embarrassed because I don’t visualize people reading my blog (whoops just did) so I don’t get embarrassed.  I was not afraid to e-mail Greenblatt or Adams because I did not think they would respond but I figured I had to try. Turns out Adams did respond and I was not afraid while we were e-mail but then when it came time to talk on the phone I got a case of stage fright . . .


3.) This ties into the third point I have learned that people like to talk about things they are interested in so if you talk to them about things they want to talk about there is nothing to be afraid of, they will be happy so go for it! 


4.) This may be silly but before this class I knew nothing about blogging and now I intend to be a lifelong blogger. Also I found that there is a lot to be learned from other peoples blogs, blogging is an opportunity to go to college forever because it encourages intelligent conversation and research which is let’s face it what school is. 


Personal Evaluation – Thus far the thing I have done best is posting, I feel like I have gotten a good number of posts up, they have not all been substantial but I have kept posting to keep me in the habit. Something I feel I need to work on more is sticking to and working on my learning outcomes. I have drifted of the path a little, I have kept learning, but I fell that it could better focus my learning if I stuck to my goals and the outcomes.


Peer Influence -Natashya’s posts have really caught my attention. I really like the ways she ties in politics and  contemporary issues. I also like that she is not afraid to voice strong opinions. Next I really like how Claire links issues, aspects and perspectives together. She does a really great job examining these works and characters more in depth in a very efficient way. Max’s posts have also been really helpful. They are often very informative and short. He helped me learn that I do not have to be long winded to say something meaningful, and that many things can be researched and linked to what we are studying.